For our first Dingle tasting of 2023, Daniel O Connor, brewer at West Kerry brewery has just returned from Australia where he sourced some of their best whiskey to bring home and present to us. There are some award winning newish distilleries down under who produce some excellent whiskey and this will be a unique opportunity to see what they are up to.
Having been to Westward distillery myself and tasted some fine Australian malt, I can state that this will be a very interesting evening. Australian distilleries tend to use their own wine barrels in which to mature their spirit as it is too expensive to have them shipped to the continent meaning that they have some very unique whiskey over there.
There will be the usual bus to and from Ballyferriter leaving John Benny's pub at 6.45 pm and we intend to spend an hour or so after the tasting to enjoy the hospitality in Tig Bhric.
1. The Gospel, Solera Rye, abv 42.5%
2. Cape Byron, The Original, abv 47%
3. Morris', Australian Single Malt Whisky Muscat Barrel, abv 46%
4. Starward, Nova, abv 41%
5. Chief's Son, Standard 900, abv 45%
6. 78 Degrees, Australian Whiskey, abv 44%
7. Tiny Bear, Single Malt Whiskey - Batch 3, abv 50%